September 16, 2019
Username:
 In Expanding Access to Medical Resources

Country: Nigeria
Delegate Name: Ethan Ellis

Country: Nigeria
Committee: WHO ECOSOC
Topic: Expanding Access to Medical Resources
Delegate: Ethan Ellis
School: Williamston High School

Access to medical resources includes the ability to obtain healthcare services such as prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and management of diseases and other health-impacting conditions. Many people who do not have good access to medical resources live in third-world countries. Countries such as the United States have programs to help poor people have access to healthcare. United States Medicaid is one such program. The problem is: Medicaid is poorly funded and not all healthcare providers are willing to accept its low rate of reimbursement. Limited access to healthcare could increase the risk of poor health outcomes. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), half of the world lacked access to essential health services, and 100 million were pushed into extreme poverty because of medical expenses in 2017. In low-income countries such as India and Africa, have a high mortality rate because there is low quality of care for mothers and children in primary care centers. Many primary care centers have insufficiently trained staff to address maternal and newborn complications.

According to WHO, there are wide gaps in medical resource availability in Sub-Saharan Africa and Southern Asia. Nigeria is Africa’s most populous country with 206 million people in 2020. About 40% of Nigerians live in poverty, who live in social conditions that create ill health and immense expenditures for health. Since many Nigerians are poor, they cannot pay for expensive healthcare. Around only 45% of Nigerians live in an urban setting. Only 30% of healthcare is provided by the government, and the rest is privately owned. Over 70% of the drugs dispensed are substandard. Substandard drugs are pharmaceutical products that do not meet their quality standards and specifications. Tuberculosis is a major health problem in Nigeria. 3.2 million Nigerians are living with HIV, which makes them susceptible to tuberculosis. Again, since many Nigerians are living below the poverty line, the rate of tuberculosis is at one of its highest levels. The U.S has supported Nigeria in the operation of 10 healthcare facilities. (In Nigeria) These facilities are located in multiple urban hubs, and will serve up to 25,000 patients annually.

Nigeria proposes to expand healthcare facilities to reach those in rural settings. Nigeria also will establish healthcare plans that are available to poor citizens. Broaden the access to free healthcare. Nigeria will raise awareness to diseases, and put in acts to help sanitize the country/disease prevention, and distribute drugs(as needed) that meet the standards of WHO. Nigeria’s allies are the United States, Japan, and the United Kingdom. These countries either give funding to Nigeria or are close allies with Nigeria.

Start typing and press Enter to search